Wednesday, August 13, 2014

I'm flying at 38000 feet above sea level.
I've been higher before, of course.
I've soared and glided and seen
A bird's eye view of an obtuse world.

It's a rather pleasant evening except
For intermittent bouts of turbulence
That threatens to jeopardize my carefully constructed
Cosmetic peace of mind.

I don't want to rock back and forth and get thrown off by
Surprises out of thin air, but
I will be, says the weary stewardess, unless I heed
To her third reminder to wear a seat belt.

She is rather unfriendly, she spilled a drink on me.
I like her still, I would rather she sat down
Next to me and spilled her guts out.
A sign of pain, a sign of life, would be
Welcome in the programmed hum of this machine.

Manufactured heat so we can eat our food warm
Controlled temperatures too, our comfort comes first.
Seats that recline, tray tables that fold
Belts that keep us from straying,
Oxygen masks to help us breathe, should something go wrong
Life jackets to keep us afloat when we're all at sea.

Everything imaginable to keep us unharmed
To feed our illusions of flight.
Man didn't discover flight.
He tamed it,
So we would never have to fear a free fall.

Maybe science is progressing well.
Maybe one day, we won't need to fear
Falling in love either.

No comments:

Post a Comment